Have some questions about the Obagi line?
Obagi is a line of skincare products that includes anti-aging formulas. The company started in 1988 and is now a part of Valeant Pharmaceuticals. You have to visit a professional to make a purchase. Formulas are not available from the official website or directly from the business.
What is Obagi?
Obagi Medical Products is the official name of the company. The line is sold to fight skin damage and issues of all kinds. Though it is owned by a pharmaceutical company, you do not need a prescription to purchase. We were unable to find a list of ingredients for any of the products and no FAQ section is available.
Quick Facts on Obagi
- Obagi is owned by a pharmaceutical company.
- You cannot purchase the products direct.
- You do not need a prescription for Obagi formulas.
- Prices and ingredients are not listed.
- Clinical tests are listed, but we did not find them online.
- Some studies included fewer than 30 subjects.
- We cannot say whether or not irritants are used.
- There are reports of poor packaging.
What’s Our Skincare Editor’s Take?
“We should be impressed that Obagi is owned by a pharmaceutical company, but that could actually be a negative,” explains our Skincare Editor. “We didn’t find the studies mentioned on the website. A business like Valeant must know the importance of proof.”
Here’s What People Are Saying
The two most common issues we found in customer reviews were peeling skin and lack of results.
- “I put it on three days in a row and am peeling quite a bit. I will hold off for a few days. My skin is not sensitive.”
- “Makes my face peel after two nights.”
Users also felt that the product worked better than others on sensitive skin.
- “Using this product in my sensitive skin for almost 2 weeks and my skin is free of irritation.”
- “So far my skin seems smoother with a slight improvement of dark spots being lightened. No irritation or odors.”
Lack of results was something we found mentioned time and again. However, customers also reported seeing positive effects.
- “I have been using this product nightly for the past couple months and I am not completely impressed.”
- “I wish I was as Wowed as the others but for the money it was NOT worth it to me.”
Positive reviews said:
- “This is a good product, it works well around the eye area.”
- “I use this in the morning. I have seen improvement.”
Is It Time to Pick Up Some Obagi Products?
We have to revert back to what our Skincare Editor’s comment. This company is owned by Valeant Pharmaceuticals, but the clinical testing doesn’t appear to be published in peer-reviewed journals. There are reports of poor product packaging and lack of results, which we also have to take into consideration. This leaves us a little hesitant to recommend Obagi.
What Do We Like Better Than Obagi?
We’ve reviewed hundreds of products in 2016 and our top pick is BioGeniste. This anti-aging formula is made with clinically tested ingredients, so you know you’re getting the best. Plus, customers are reporting some amazing results.
Click here to learn more about BioGeniste today.